Working with chemicals

A Brexit deal has been agreed in principle with the EU. Both the UK and the EU need to approve and sign the withdrawal agreement. They will then start to negotiate new arrangements. There would be a transition period to prepare for new rules. The UK could still leave with no deal if the withdrawal agreement is not approved by 31 January 2020, or at the end of a transition period. Find out what your business should do to be prepared if the UK leaves the EU with no deal.

If you make, supply or use chemicals in your business there are things you might need to do to be ready for Brexit.

If you are a small business that uses chemicals, you need to make sure you can still get the products and materials you need. Check with others in your supply chain that they are aware of the changes, so they are ready to comply with specific regulations after Brexit.

HSE has important information on classifying, labelling and packaging chemicals and how to get authorisation for the use of biocidal substances and products to assist you with your preparations for Brexit. You can also find guidance on pesticides and plant protection products as well as importing and exporting chemicals:

Biocides Authorisation of biocidal substances and products (BPR)

CLP Classification, labelling and packaging of substances and chemicals

PIC Export and import of hazardous chemicals from and into Europe

PPP Plant Protection Products

All UK businesses who make chemicals, supply them to the EU or buy them from EU suppliers will need to register their chemicals at a new UK government portal under new legislation called UK REACH (Registration, evaluation, authorisation and restriction of chemicals). Further information on maintaining access and registering new chemicals with the European Economic market (EEA) can be found here.

It’s also important to remember your responsibilities for protecting the health and safety of your workers will not change after Brexit.

Sign-up for more information on how Brexit might affect your business or for specific enquiries contact