We collect and process data from a range of individuals:
- visitors to our campaigns site campaigns.hse.gov.uk/hgbww
- individuals who have subscribed to HSE campaigns mailing lists
You will fall into one or more of these categories of individuals.
What data are we collecting?
We may collect and process the following data about our individuals:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- details of any transactions you carry out through our site.
- details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data and the resources that you access.
- any information incidental to that listed above.
In addition to the above, we process information about our end users:
- Information collected by technology such as Google Analytics and other technology such as cookies placed on our customers’ websites (please see “IP addresses and cookies” below for more information)
Data retention and deletion
HSE retains your information while you / your company remains an active client, unless you ask us to delete your information. If you stop being an active client, we will retain your information unless you request that your details be deleted; however we will only contact you if we believe the information we intend to send to you could be of ‘legitimate interest’ to you or your company.
If you have signed up to our mailing list, we will retain your information until you request to be removed / deleted.
IP addresses, cookies and similar technologies
- We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using technology such as “cookies”, which store information on the hard drive of your computer. This type of technology helps us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service for public users and our customers.
They enable us:
- to understand visitor numbers
- to store information about a Public User’s preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to a Public User’s interests and offer them goods or services in which we believe they will be interested
- to speed up your searches
- to recognise you when you return to our site
- to find out more about cookies, including how to control and disable them, please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
You may refuse to accept some technologies such as cookies by activating settings on your browser which allows you to refuse the setting of technologies such as cookies. If you refuse all cookies you may be unable to access certain parts of our site. If you do not activate these settings on your browser then you will be taken to have consented to the use of these technologies.
We use Google Analytics and other monitoring software on our site. These types of technologies also allow the proprietor of the technology, for example, Google, to also access your information. We have no control over how your information is processed by third parties such as Google. Please read the privacy packages of the provider to understand how your information may be used by these third parties.
3rd party services that we use on our site that may set cookies include:
Security and Control of Data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers and is accessible only by you or, if you are an end user, the authorised user(s) of our software and services appointed by our customer.
Please note that the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information whether collected by us or on our own, we will use strict procedures and security features in order to reduce the risk of unauthorised access.
How we use your information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- If you are an existing subscriber, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS).
- We do not disclose personal information about individuals to advertisers or sell your information to any other organisation for marketing purposes.
Sharing your information
We do not disclose your personal information to third parties.
Accessing your Information
If you think we may hold your personal data and you want to see it, or you want us to correct information that you believe is wrong, or if you want us to delete or stop processing it, please:
Email the Data Protection Officer: DPO@hse.gov.uk
Or write to:
Data Protection Officer
Health and Safety Executive
1.3 Redgrave Court
Merton Road, Bootle
We may ask you for proof of identity. Pease be aware that if we are processing your information in relation to our law enforcement functions or public tasks, it may not always be possible to fulfil requests to delete or rectify personal information.
Can I opt out of my subscription to a HSE campaigns mailing list?
You can opt out of any mailing lists sent from email@example.com by completing the unsubscribe form.